Copyright

I confess this week has been a tough one. I am juggling a lot and this week I let a lot overwhelm me and crush my drive. I would not say that I am a procrastinator but I would also not describe myself as an overachiever but this week, I just barely stayed afloat on all the requirements for my classes. Copyright is something you have always known to exist but also something I confess I didn’t consider too often. I always am asked to give citations therefore I just have always assumed I am in the green. After this week, I am now completely aware of the legal rights I am held to as a teacher when it comes to using things that I myself do not create.

Copyright for Educators

Countless resources this week that Dr. Coffman so greatly provided led to a wealth of information that spelled out limitations and requirements for teachers when it comes to sharing information. I did not stop at just reading information but instead was challenged to take this information and put it into practice. I successfully found this photo of Abraham Lincoln (what a stud) via an advanced google search. Interestingly enough while I was sitting here writing this blog my significant other (Mike) peeped over at my computer and saw the photo and said, “Noticed Lincoln’s hands. One hand has the sign language symbol for the letter ‘a’ the other hand the letter ‘l’ the man doing this sculpture was deaf.” Now whether that is true or not… I will let you decide but the not knowing was somewhat beautiful to me. Through an advanced google search I was able to change the usage rights while in the image search to only bring up photos that are labeled “free to use and share”. I then simply searched, “A famous building in Washington DC” and the image above popped up.The image is stated to be free to use because if you click on the “rights reserved” the Creative Commons page pops up stating the photo is registered to be shared. Creative Commons is something that I learned about just today. It is a website that teachers or anyone can use for free that has items that are loaded that are free to use and share. It is a website that is dedicated specifically to facilitating sharing. I chose this image from the others because of the movie Licoln. I was also a history major at James Madison University and have always found Abraham Lincoln to be a man who fought for what was right despite hard obstacles. Plus, who doesn’t have a crush on a tall man that speaks in monologues?

As a teacher we have a responsibility to our students to model behavior of proper compliance to copyright laws. I knew that teachers could not show movies for fun but I didn’t know that teachers could not copy worksheets off the internet. In some of my previous practicum lessons I took worksheets right off the internet. I am thankful to have learned that I need to ensure that such worksheets have been given approval to be used. I would hate to get in trouble because of a lack of knowledge on my part. I was not as worried about the youtube video sharing. I have never made a video therefore I know that I have not stolen a video or music or anything from someone else. I am very thankful for this weeks lesson. I learned a lot of information. It was also information that I know I will need to review time after time because I am sure it gets updated as well as ensuring that I am complying.

Citations:
Michael McDonough. (2006, October 14). The Lincoln Memorial. Retrieved from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikemcd/540118063/

.org websites do not comply well with “normal” citations rules. Therefore, I will provide the link as well as the contact information for the kind people at Creative Commons.

http://creativecommons.org/
Creative Commons
444 Castro Street, Suite 900
Mountain View, CA 94041

phone: 1-650-294-4732
fax: 1-650-965-1605

1 Comment

• Kayla

I went back and tried some more after my frustrations calmed down and I was able to get some of the stuff done on my web portfolio. Girl give me some pointers when you get time on how to get the scratch game. Girl I am glad to see I was not the only frustrated student.

Tiffany